September Blog: Finding My Rhythm
As I reflect on my first couple of months in the program, one of the biggest lessons I have learned is the importance of finding balance. I didn’t participate in community service during September because I wanted to focus on finding a routine that worked for me. Between the rigorous coursework, studying for the MCAT, and continuing to work full time, I knew I needed to first understand how to manage everything effectively before adding more to my schedule. That adjustment has pushed me to improve my time-management and organizational skills, which I believe were weaker areas for me during undergrad. Balancing everything is still a work in progress, but I can already see growth in how I approach my responsibilities.
Another area I was nervous about coming into the program was presenting. Public speaking has always been somewhat intimidating for me, so the idea of regularly presenting scientific material was outside of my comfort zone. Even after only two presentations, though, I have already become more comfortable. I still have a lot of room to grow, but I have also started to appreciate why the presentations are such an important part of the program. They also serve as a reminder that medicine is constantly changing and that research plays a major role in how we understand disease and treatment.
The faculty and staff have also been one of the highlights of my experience so far. Before beginning the program, I had the opportunity to speak with alumni who spoke very highly of the support they received, so I came in with fairly high expectations. Somehow, the faculty and staff have still managed to exceed them. They have been phenomenal in their willingness to help, answer questions, and support us as we adjust to the demands of graduate-level coursework.
I have enjoyed most of the material we have covered, but the inflammation module especially stood out to me. I enjoyed learning how the underlying biology connects to disease processes and pharmacologic treatment, and it reinforced why I am interested in medicine.
As someone who values service, I am looking forward to incorporating community service back into my routine moving forward. Now that I am beginning to find my rhythm, I feel better prepared to balance academics, work, service, and my other goals as I continue through the program.
Comments
Post a Comment